Learn more about the power of positive affirmations and how they can help you achieve your goals in the new year.
With 2021 upon us, what better way to begin the year than by making a remarkably simple, yet seriously effective resolution? Practicing positive affirmations on a daily basis is a way of adapting a permanent shift in your attitude and outlook.
What are positive affirmations?
Simply put, a positive affirmation is a statement used to confront negative thoughts or emotions. By regularly reciting or writing them down, you can refute negative self-talk and train your brain to help create the reality you desire. Affirmations are most successful when recited or written down every day.
How can I develop my own positive affirmations?
Generally, it’s good to follow a few guidelines to write an effective affirmation:
- Start with the word “I” and focus on your own actions, not those of others.
- State what you want, not what you don’t.
- Keep it brief so it’s easy to remember and repeat.
- Don’t choose statements that aren’t necessarily true to you. For example, “I love my body” might be a stretch for some people. And that’s OK! Statements like “I will learn to love my body” or “I appreciate what my body does for me” may be more accurate in your current season of life.
- Take a look at your own negative self-talk. Pinpoint self-deprecating phrases like “I’ll never run that 6-minute mile” and turn them into the opposite. This is a good way to identify what’s personally important to you.
Examples of positive affirmations
Ready to implement positive daily affirmations into your routine? Here are a few that can help you get started:
- Today I will make strides toward growth
- I choose my attitude.
- I will act with intention.
- I deserve my dreams.
- I am bigger than my mistakes.
- I see the opportunity in a challenge.
- I have a voice worth hearing.
- I am in charge of how I feel, and today I feel….
- I will make every day better than the last one.
- I have the power to create positive change
Using any of the statements above, you can help channel positivity into your daily life.
And although it can feel a little out of place to practice them at first, repetition of positive affirmations can help you reverse negative thoughts, relieve anxiety, and stay motivated to achieve your goals. And the best part? Whether you start them on January 1st or July 14th, there’s never a wrong time to add them into your daily routine.