As a vertically integrated mattress company, we’re proud to own several state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities around the world dedicated to producing our own foams. And to ensure that our products live up to the highest standards in the industry, all of our foam is CertiPUR-US® certified. This rigorous certification process ensures you’re sleeping on a bed that's better for you and our environment.
What does CertiPUR-US® certified mean?
CertiPUR-US® is a certification program for flexible polyurethane foam (the type of foam that is widely used in mattresses and upholstered furniture). The program got its start in 2008 when US foam producers became concerned that chemicals identified as harmful to human health were being used in imported foams. This rigorous certification process was developed to provide consumers with a level of transparency about what goes into their foam products.
All certified foams are tested by independent, accredited laboratories and contain:
- No ozone depleters
- No PBDE or “tris” flame retardants
- No lead, mercury, or other heavy metals
- No formaldehyde
- No phthalates
- Low VOC emissions
But how are foams free of these compounds actually better for us?
The benefits of CertiPUR-US® certified foams
CertiPUR-US® certified foams are good for:
- The atmosphere. To pass a CertiPUR-US® certification test, foams must be free of chlorofluorocarbons (known as CFCs) and other ozone depleters that can be detrimental to the earth’s upper atmosphere.
- Air quality. All certified foams are free of formaldehyde, a flammable chemical known to contribute to poor indoor air quality. Additionally, certified foams have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions of less than 0.5 parts per million.
- The environment. Certified foams contain no PBDE flame retardants, which were banned by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 2005 due to their potential to harm different ecosystems.
- Human health. CertiPUR-US® certified foams are free of phthalates, heavy metals like mercury and lead, and “tris” flame retardants, all known to cause adverse health effects in humans.
Which Zinus mattresses are certified?
This is an easy one! Every single mattress we make contains foam that’s been CertiPUR-US® certified, so there are no wrong choices here! Whether you choose a hybrid or memory foam CertiPUR-US® mattress, all the foam inside holds up to every single standard, so you can rest with complete confidence.